Further Information (Professional)
Further information on party wall matters is available on a number of third party websites and in a large selection of text books and other publications.
Further information on the Party Wall etc Act 1996 may be obtained from the sources listed below.
The Pyramus & Thisbe Club does not accept responsibility for the information contained on these third party websites.
2) Department for Communities and Local Government (DCLG)
The DCLG website contains a number of pages about the Act and details of useful contacts. It also publishes an excellent explanatory booklet, which can be downloaded free of charge.
DCLG homepage: http://www.communities.gov.uk
Link to its party wall pages: Party Wall etc Act 1996 - Explanatory Booklet
3) Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS)
The RICS website contains information about the Act including a useful publication called "What every property owner should know about party walls".
RICS homepage: http://www.rics.org
Link to its party wall pages: Party wall guidance
The following are useful sources of information for establishing names and addresses of owners of properties:
4) Companies House
Search for companies registered in the UK by company name or number. Results give the registered address, which may be used when serving notice on the company.
Home page: http://www.companieshouse.gov.uk then click on Webcheck.
5) Royal Mail Postcode Finder
Home page and postcode finder: http://www.royalmail.com/postcode-finder?gear=postcode
6) Land Registry
Home Page: http://www.landregistry.gov.uk
For a small fee this enables a search via the E-services facility for documents held for properties in England and Wales that can be identified by an address. Copies of documents can be downloaded.
Those who use the services regularly can arrange an account with Land Registry and become a Registered user, providing them with quicker and slightly cheeper electronic access to a range of Land Registry information via the following link:
Online services: http://www.landregistry.gov.uk/wps/myportal/My_Home
The following is a list of publications on party wall matters, which the practitioner may find useful. The list is in alphabetical order by author and is not in order of merit (although John Anstey would probably have disagreed!)
If members wish to suggest a publication for addition to this list, they should send details to the Administration Office
- Anstey, J., and North, G., Party Walls and What to Do with Them (6th edition), RICS Books, Coventry, 2005 (ISBN 1 84219 201 9)
- Anstey, J., A Practical Manual for Party Wall Surveyors, RICS Books, Coventry, 2000 (ISBN 1 84219 007 5)
- Anstey, J. and Vegoda, V., An Introduction to the Party Wall etc. Act 1996, Lark Productions, London, 1997 (ISBN 1 89838 355 3)
- Bickford-Smith, S. and Sydenham, C., Party Walls, Law and Practice (3rd edition), Jordan Publishing Ltd, 2009 (ISBN 1 84703 222 5)
- Chynoweth, P., The Party Wall Casebook, Blackwell Science Ltd, Oxford, 2003 (ISBN 1 40510 022 2)
- Gaunt, J. and Morgan, P., Gale on the Law of Easements (17th edition), Sweet & Maxwell, London, 2002 (ISBN 0 42177 960 8)
- Hampton, P., Party Structures: the Party wall etc. Act 1996, Architecture and Surveying Institute, Chippenham, 1999
- Hannaford, S. and Stephens, J., Case in Point – Party Walls, RICS Books, 2004 (ISBN: 1 842191527)
- Morrow, N., Party walls workbook: a guide for architects appointed to act as party wall surveyor
- Office of the Deputy Prime Minister (now Communities and Local Government), Party Wall etc. Act, 1996: explanatory booklet Click link to download as a PDF file. Source: Office of the Deputy Prime Minister. Crown copyright. Free hard copies are available from: Communities and Local Government Publications, PO Box 236, Wetherby, West Yorkshire, LS23 7NB (Tel: 0870 1226236)
- Pyramus & Thisbe Club, The Party Wall Act Explained: A Commentary on the Party Wall etc. Act 1996(The Green Book), (2nd edition), Parrot House Press, London, 1997 (ISBN 0 95207 041 3)
- Redler, A. The Practical Neighbour Law Handbook, RICS Books, 2006 (ISBN 1-84219-236-1)
- RIBA, Architect’s Guide to Job Administration – The Party Wall etc Act 1996
- RIBA, Engaging an Architect – Guidance for Clients on Party Wall Procedures
- RICS Guidance Note, Party Wall Legislation and Procedure (6th edition), RICS Books, 2011 (ISBN 1 84219 700 4)
- RICS, The Party Wall etc Act (Owlion audio cassette – available from RICS Books)
- RICS, Party Wall Act 1996 – Best Practice 2002 (Owlion audio cassette – available from RICS Books)
- Shaw, W., The Party Walls Act Explained
- Structural Survey Vol. 18 No. 5 John Anstey Memorial Issue
- Vegoda, V., The Role of the Third Surveyor under the Party Wall etc. Act 1996 EG Books, ISBN 0 7282 0462 2